One of my favorite web sites, The Pew Internet and American Life Project has recently done a study of who is using libraries. Excerpted from the study is a bit of interesting data on book borrowing:
We asked respondents if they had used the library in the past year for a variety of purposes, including research, book-borrowing, and periodicals like newspapers and magazines. Some 56% of those ages 16 and older said that they had used a public library at least once in the past year for one of the activities we queried:
Borrow printed books: 35% of Americans ages 16 and older used their library in the past year to do so. That translates into 48% of all those who read a printed book in the past year. Women who read printed books are more likely than men to borrow them from the library. Even more strikingly, those ages 16-17 are the heaviest print-book borrowing cohort: 64% of the printed-book readers in that cohort borrowed a print book from the library.
So, get out there and keep reading! Kick back in a comfy chair and gobble up all kinds of new worlds. Newly recommended titles are listed below and gathered as a bibliography using Refworks, a citation management tool.
- Bakopoulos, Natalie. The Green Shore. 1st Simon & Schuster hardcover ed. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2012.
- Campbell, Bonnie Jo. Once upon a River : A Novel. 1st ed. New York: W. W. Norton & Co., 2011.
- Goolrick, Robert. Heading Out to Wonderful : A Novel. 1st ed. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2012.
- Haddon, Mark. The Red House : A Novel. 1st American ed. New York: Doubleday, 2012.
- Lanchester, John. Capital. 1st American ed. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2012.
- Ondaatje, Michael. The Cat’s Table. 1st U.S. ed. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2011.
- Palma, Felix J., and Nick Caistor. The Map of Time : A Novel. 1st Atria Books hardcover ed. New York: Atria Books, 2011.
- Perrotta, Tom. The Leftovers. 1st ed. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2011
- Theroux, Paul. The Lower River. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012.
- Ward, Jesmyn. Salvage the Bones : A Novel. 1st U.S. ed. New York: Bloomsbury, 2011.