Facts & Figures
Quick Facts 2010-2011
|Virtual Presence||Services / Instruction|
|Web site Visitors||2,230,820||Reference transactions||22,006|
|Online databases & catalog searches||3,920248||Virtual reference transactions||9,191|
|Print volumes held||3,065,469||Individuals||12,511|
|Media (sound, film, photos, etc.)||264,160||Professional staff (FTE)||46|
|E-resources||Support staff (FTE)||50|
|e-book titles||753,508||Student assistants||225|
|Access to our Collections|
|Hours of operation||146|
|Loans to other libraries||61,552|
|Loans from other libraries||56,059|
Vernon R. Alden Library
- The main library at Ohio University, named for Ohio University’s 15th president.
- A seven-story building constructed between 1966 and 1969 which opened in 1969 with 550,000 volumes
- The east and west wings were added to floors 4-7 in 1972.
- Each floor is about the size of a football field
- Currently holds approximately 1.4 million volumes on about 50 miles of shelving – enough to stretch from Athens to Marietta.
- The Learning Commons on the 2nd floor is open 24 hours, 5 days a week
- Laptops are available for loan in the Learning Commons; and over 350 public computers are available on all floors
- Subject librarians serve all the colleges on the Athens campus
Music and Dance Library (in Glidden Hall)
- Approximately 80,000 print items (books and scores), and 25,000 music CD’s
- More than 5,000 feet of shelving
- 22 public computers (Macs and PCs)
- Typically open 86 hours per week
Southeast Ohio Regional Depository (the Library Annex)
- A high-density storage facility, on Columbus Road
- 750,000 volumes can be stored in this facility
Each of Ohio University’s regional campuses independently operates their own libraries.