College of Engineering and Technology (Russ)
The history of engineering courses at Ohio University extends back to 1890 with the creation of the Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering. In 1904, the Department of Mathematics and Civil Engineering was created. As part of a major academic reorganization in 1936 the College of Applied Sciences was established to combine these departments and Home Economics. By 1938, degrees were also offered in architectural engineering and industrial arts (to become industrial technology in 1956). Mechanical engineering was added in 1948, followed by chemical engineering in 1958. In 1963 the college was renamed the College of Engineering and Technology, and Home Economics was moved to the College of Education. The department of industrial and systems engineering was created in 1968.
As stated in the university’s current Bulletin, the College of Engineering and Technology “provides a knowledge of the mathematical and natural sciences, and applies them to develop ways to economically utilize the materials and forces of nature for the benefit of humankind and the environment.” The College of Engineering and Technology is comprised of six departments, offering seven Bachelor of Science degrees. The college also offers 5 Master’s degree and 3 Doctorate degree programs.
Two significant points on names:
In 1986 the college moved all of its departments into the Stocker Engineering and Technology Center, named in honor of C. Paul and Beth K. Stocker. This was to honor the Stocker’s for their financial contributions to the university, and for their many years of devoted service to the college and university. Paul Stocker graduated from Ohio University in 1926 with a degree in electrical engineering, and his wife graduated from the university in 1928. He was a member of the College of Engineering and Technology Board of Visitors, and served two terms as a trustee of the university from 1958 to 1974.
In 1994 the College of Engineering and Technology became the first college at Ohio University to be named for financial benefactors. It was renamed the Fritz J. and Dolores H. Russ College of Engineering and Technology, after a devoted OU alumnus and his wife. Fritz Russ received a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from Ohio University in 1946 and an honorary doctorate in engineering in 1975. He also served as a trustee of the university from 1981 to 1990.
Prepared in Winter 1994 by Michael Parker and George W. Bain.
- Ohio University Bulletin, various years.
- Olson, Reuben M., A History of Engineering at Ohio University, Athens, OU Coll. of Engineering and Technology, 1985.
- Feb. 1994 news release
|Albert A. Atkinson, M.S.||1936-1937|
|William M. Young, Ph.D.||1937-1942|
|Adolph H. Armbruster, M.B.A.||1942-1947 (Acting Dean)|
|Edwin J. Taylor, M.S.||1947-1965 (Eng. & Tech. in 1963)|
|Robert L. Savage, Ph.D.||1965-1967 (Eng. & Tech.)|
|Walter J. Fahey, Ph.D.||1967-1968|
|Irvin R. Badger, M.S.C.E.||1968-1969 (Acting Dean)|
|Richard C. Dorf, Ph.D.||1969|
|Beaumont Davison, Ph.D.||1969-1971|
|Richard S. Mayer, Ph.D.||1971-1980|
|T. Richard Robe, Ph.D.||1980-1996|
|Kent Wray, Ph.D.||1996-2000|
|Jerrel Mitchell (Interim)||2000-2002|