The Africana collection at Alden Library supports the African Studies Program a Title VI National Resource Center and research interests of all Ohio University faculty and students interested in Africa. The aim is to provide scholarly resources for a comprehensive understanding of the African continent, its peoples and its languages. The monograph collection is estimated at about 150,000 Africa related volumes. Beyond basic support of the whole of Africa, the collection concentrates on West Africa, East Africa and Southern Africa.
- Materials in the collection covers a wide range of disciplines from the arts, history, literature, communication, education, political science and public health.
- African language materials primarily Tigrinya, Akan, Swahili, Amharic, Arabic, Somali and Setswana.
- Journals and electronic databases.
- Feature films and documentaries on video and DVD.
- Microform collection containing African newspapers, British foreign and colonial materials related to Africa, Kenyan National Archives.
- Large collection of dissertations and theses on Africa
The library has depository arrangements with the Governments of Botswana and Swaziland, to acquire their official publications. The library participates in the Cooperative Acquisition Program of the Library of Congress, Nairobi Office to acquire materials published in Africa. Ohio University Libraries is a member of OhioLINK a statewide library consortium in Ohio and has access to an extensive collection of Africa related electronic journals and materials from other libraries in Ohio. Through its membership of the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) the library has access to the large collection of Africa related materials in CRL’s collections.
Using the collection
- To locate a specific monograph, journal, film or microform title search the ALICE catalog.
- For more information about specific resources, how to search the catalog and databases, find articles from electronic databases consult the African Studies Subject and Course Guides.
The Africana reference collection and services is based at the Center for International Collections (CIC) on the first floor of Alden Library. The reference collection contains encyclopedias, bibliographies, dictionaries and handbooks and several electronic reference materials are available through the ALICE catalog. The general Africana collection is housed in the stacks of Alden Library arranged by Library of Congress classification scheme. Contact the Africana Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org for reference consultations.