|ALICE | InfoTree | FAQ | home|
im | chat | phone | e-mail | appointment
Albert Wood James Collection
Manuscript Collection No.46
OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION
[1872-1895]. 1.5 cu.ft. in 4 boxes.
Provenance: The Alfred Wood James Collection was given to the Ohio University Library by two separate donors. Clelie James, daughter of Albert Wood James, donated a portion of the collection on September 11, 1973 and Mrs. Cornelia (James) Dorgan, granddaughter of A.W. James, donated the remaining articles in November 1973 and July and November of 1974.1 Carolyn Copper processed this collection in January, 1986.
Property Rights: The Ohio University Library owns the property rights to this collection.
Copyrights: The Ohio University Library claims the copyrights and/or literary rights as may apply to these papers. Consideration of all other copyrights and possible literary rights is the responsibility of the researcher and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the Ohio University Library.
Photoduplication: Ohio University Library will entertain requests to photocopy reasonable amounts of material from the collection for the convenience of individual researchers.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name and number and Ohio University Library in all footnotes and bibliographic references.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF THE COLLECTION
Albert Wood James was born in Cornwall, England on January 23rd, 1828, to Mary Wood James (father unknown). Albert and his mother came to the United States in 1834, when he was six years old. They settled in Point Marion, Pennsylvania, where Mary Wood James remarried on March 7th, 1837, becoming Mrs. William Drew. The couple later had four children.
Albert James left Pennsylvania at a young age (unknown) and came to Ohio seeking work. His first occupation took him to Coal Grove (Lawrence County), Ohio where he worked as a wood cutter. He later moved to Hanging Rock, Ohio where he met Dr. A. Condie. Dr. Condie was said to be instrumental in the making of Albert James' career as a physician.
On November 6, 1855, James enrolled in the Medical School at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia, and in 1859 moved to Zaleski, Ohio to begin his medical practice. In Zaleski, James met his future wife, Nancy Greaves Vanderford (8/28/1840 - 8/22/1922). They were married on January 5, 1859 in the Vanderford House. The Jameses had nine children, whose names are as follows: Noel Vanderford (1860 - 1916), Lucius Cassius (1861 - 1927), Reynell Wood (1862 - 1946), Edwin Taylor (1864 - 1865 - died in infancy), Ulysses (1866 - 1940), Velmus (1868 - 1947), Euclid (1869 - 1953), Albert (1875 - 1957), and Clelie (1879 - 1973). Albert James lived most of his life as a physician in Zaleski, Ohio. He died in 1895 and his wife, Nancy, died on August 22, 1922.
The remaining James family members completed a detailed biographical sketch in 1973 that includes further information onthe lives of James' children and various information to which the reader may refer.
SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION
The Collection contains materials belonging to both Albert Wood James and his son Noel Vanderford James. Most of the materials date between 1872 and 1895. This includes six ledgers/account books of A.W. James which contain detailed records of patients, prescriptions, and various illnesses during the time of his medical practice in Zaleski. Several other items of A.W. James are a handwritten "Code of Ethics" adopted by Zaleski physicians in 1889, a physician's visiting book, several medical text promotion advertisements, and three personal notebooks containing detailed geometric and mathematical calculations. The remaining items in the collection are letters written (97) to Noel James (first born son of A.W. James), most concerning legal/political matters during his position as Vinton County Clerk of Courts (1890 - 1894) and his membership on the Vinton County Board of School Examiners.
Other items include a notebook (1881) belonging to Lucius Cassius James which contains land surveying figures for the construction of a railroad. At the age of 18, Lucius conducted a land survey for the proposed construction of a railroad to connect the towns of Hamden and Lancaster (called the South Bloomingville Project). However, after the survey was made, no funds were available to actually begin construction. The surveying figures in the notebook may have been from that project.
Also contained in the collection is a family history completed in 1973 by the remaining James family members. It includes a personal history of A.W. James and biographical information concerning his children. A small number of issues of the Zaleski Journal(1891), The Hamden Enterprise (1906), and The McArthur Democrat-Enquirer (1926) are also found in the collection.
CONTAINER LISTS FOR THE COLLECTION
|Archives & Special Collections | Fine Arts | Government Documents | International Collections | Music & Dance|
Athens, OH 45701-2978
Phone: (740) 593-2699
This page is maintained by Doug McCabe.
Please use our Feedback Form for your questions, comments, and suggestions about the Libraries' services and resources.
|OHIO University © 2009 All Rights Reserved|