ALICE | InfoTree | FAQ | home
  ASK A LIBRARIAN
im | chat | phone | e-mail | appointment
Main
Digital Exhibits
Local Government Records
Manuscript Collections
Rare Book Collections
Reading Room Procedures
Staff Directory
University Archives
Useful Links

Ohio Osteopathic Association Collection

Manuscript Collection No.94
Overview | Biography | Scope and Content | Container List

OVERVIEW OF THE COLLECTION

1899-1990. 1.3 cu.ft. in 4 boxes.

Provenance: The Ohio University Libraries has received records from the Ohio Osteopathic Association on deposit following an agreement completed in 1983. Lisa Wood prepared the initial inventory in Spring 1996.

Property Rights: The Ohio Osteopathic Association owns the property rights to this collection.

Copyrights: The Ohio Osteopathic Association has not dedicated copyrights to the public. Consideration of such rights--and all other copyrights--is the responsibility of the researcher and publisher.

Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations of the Ohio University Library.

Photoduplication: The Ohio University Libraries will entertain requests to photocopy reasonable amounts of material from the collections for the convenience of the individual researchers.

Citation: Researchers are requested to cite the collection name and number, and the Ohio University Libraries in all footnotes and bibliographical references.

Related Materials: The Archives & Special Collections department has a collection of the early basic literature for the field of Osteopathic Medicine in its book collections, along with holdings for the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (Record Group 29). The Health Sciences Library has Ohio Osteopathic Association serial publications in its collection.

Return to Top


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF THE COLLECTION

The Ohio Osteopathic Association (OOA) was founded in Columbus, Ohio in 1898 as the Ohio Association for the Advancement of Osteopathy. The Association employed its first full-time Executive Secretary in 1939. Its stated purpose is to maintain high standards of professional practice and ethical conduct following the osteopathic philosophy of medical practice. As of 1995 the OOA had over fourteen hundred members and thirteen affiliated local groups. The OOA is affiliated with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).

The AOA works closely with the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, which was established in the 1975.

Return to Top


SCOPE AND CONTENTS OF THE COLLECTION

The Ohio Osteopathic Association Archives Collection is currently very abbreviated. The materials recieved to this point have been arranged into two series. These are:

Annual Meeting
Miscellaneous Volumes and Ledgers

Each series begins with its own box #1.

Annual Meeting Series: The Annual Meeting series has the manuals for the OOA House of Delegates conference held each summer. This series currently spans the years 1977 through 1990. Originally distributed in three ring binders, they have been organized into folders with two folders for each year. Information that can be found in the manuals includes the conference agenda, lists of the delegates and alternates attending, OOA officers for the year, resolutions, committee and staff reports, and the annual budget.

Miscellaneous Volumes and Ledgers Series: The Miscellaneous Volumes and Ledgers series is comprised of four items. Folder 1 contains an unpublished typescript titled "History of Osteopathy in Ohio" written by Drs. Walter H. Siehl and William S. Konold (circa 1957). This item discusses the history of the organization from 1898-1953 with a focus on the development and increasing recognition of the profession. Section II of the history is missing. Folder 2 includes pages one through ten of an OOA treasury ledger from January - December 1905. This item includes records of dues paid and disbursements. The pages were removed from the original bound ledger in 1952.

Folder 3 contains a ledger identified as "Exams and Results - Minutes 1902," (1902 - 1941). It contains lists of those who applied for a license to practice osteopathic medicine in Ohio, exam questions, test scores, and minutes of the examination proceedings. Folder 4 includes a ledger identified as "Cash Book No. 3." This volume has records of dues payments and disbursements of the OOA, (1899 - 1922). The book is in slightly poor condition, with some water and mildew damage.

Return to Top


CONTAINER LISTS FOR THE COLLECTION

Series: Annual Meeting
Box 1
  • Folder 1 - 1977 - part 1
  • Folder 2 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 3 - 1978 - part 1
  • Folder 4 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 5 - 1979 - part 1
  • Folder 6 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 7 - 1980 - part 1
  • Folder 8 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 9 - 1981 - part 1
  • Folder 10 - Same - part 2
Box 2
  • Folder 1 - 1982 - part 1
  • Folder 2 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 3 - 1983 - part 1
  • Folder 4 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 5 - 1984 - part 1
  • Folder 6 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 7 - 1985 - part 1
  • Folder 8 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 9 - 1986 - part 1
  • Folder 10 - Same - part 2
Box 3
  • Folder 1 - 1987 - part 1
  • Folder 2 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 3 - 1988 - part 1
  • Folder 4 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 5 - 1989 - part 1
  • Folder 6 - Same - part 2
  • Folder 7 - 1990 - part 1
  • Folder 8 - Same - part 2
Series: Miscellaneous Volumes and Ledgers
Box 1
  • Folder 1 - "History of Osteopathy in Ohio," circa 1957
  • Folder 2 - OOA Treasury Ledger, January - December 1905, pp. 1-10
  • Folder 3 - "Exams and Results - Minutes 1902," 1902 - 1941
  • Folder 4 - "Cash Book No. 3," 1899 - 1922

Return to Top

OHIO University Libraries
Athens, OH 45701-2978
Phone: (740) 593-2699
Last updated:
This page is maintained by Doug McCabe.
Please use our Feedback Form for your questions, comments, and suggestions about the Libraries' services and resources.
OHIO University © 2009 All Rights Reserved