Streaming Video Content
Ohio University has purchased the Gender/Race Studies streaming collection provided by Media Education Foundation. These films are some of the most popular films offered by Media Education Foundation, and are considered good quality documentary films when using media to present on gender and race issues.
42 individual titles have been purchased, including Dreamworlds, Generation M, Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes, Codes of Gender, Killing Us Softly and Tough Guise.
Please be aware we do have other films from Media Education Foundation and they can be found here – note that these are not in the streaming collection.
- Register for Account – best to start there; it will enable you to make playlists.
- Navigating VAST
- Search by discipline (select as many as you like; searches all by default)
- Browse by discipline, material type, author/creator, or topic
- Advanced Search allows you to limit by language, subtitle language, year released
- On search results page, filters on right side allow you to narrow further
- Click Make New Clip and drag markers on timeline to start/end points
- Enter clip title
- Select who can view
- Add notes if desired
- After creating a clip, click on the blue plus sign
- You will have the option to add to an existing playlist or create a new playlist
- To send playlist to students:
- Select Edit Playlist / Groups
- Who can see this playlist > Just my class or group > Create new group
- Will be prompted to enter group title and member email addresses
Linking to Video Clips
- Click on the Embed/Link icon and copy persistent link
- Insert proxy (http://proxy.library.ohiou.edu/login?url=) before persistent link to allow users to access from off campus
Embedding Video Clips
- Click on the Embed/Link icon and copy embed code
- Embeddable in Blackboard, web pages, wikis, LibGuides
- To embed in Blackboard, choose Build Content > Item. Give the item a name. Select the “<>” icon from the 2nd row of tools in the textbox. Highlight and delete anything that automatically appears in the box. Paste the embed code in the box and press the submit button.
- NOT embeddable in PowerPoint or Word
Other Streaming Video Collections Licensed by Ohio University
OhioLINK statewide digital resource, a unique collection of digital items held by OhioLINK libraries. This includes streaming Educational and Instructional Videos on a variety of topics and disciplines.
The world’s most extensive and complete archive of television news, recording, preserving and providing access to television news broadcasts of the national networks since August 5, 1968. The Archive’s collection also includes news coverage of significant events broadcast outside the scope of the regular evening news programs. This part of the collection focuses on the U.S. presidential politics, including political conventions, election coverage, and speeches and press conferences of the President currently in office. The Special Reports collection also includes coverage of major national and world events and major military conflicts involving the U.S.
This icon of a video camera identifies entries that include streaming video. Streaming videos have a one week embargo from date of original broadcast.
All entries include a persistent link to the database record.
NOTE: OU Faculty and graduate students may order videotape duplications of entire broadcasts, or compilation tapes of individual news stories specified by the borrower. Contact Alden Library Interlibrary Loan. Do not order directly through the TV News Archive website; Alden Library has an agreement with Vanderbilt and can assist in borrowing tapes.
OntheBoards.tv offers high-quality videos of full-length performances by some of today’s most provocative artists working in dance, theater, music and other forms that defy categorization.
Television adaptations of all 37 plays by William Shakespeare, produced by British Broadcasting between 1978 and 1985. All productions are traditional interpretations of the plays set in either Shakespeare’s own time (1564 to 1616) or in the historical period of the events depicted (such as ancient Rome for Julius Caesar, or c1400 for Richard II etc). Casts include notable classic actors such as John Gielgud, Patrick Stewart, Anthony Hopkins, Bob Hoskins, Jane Lapotaire.
The site lists titles alphabetically.
Videos stream in Flash with chaptered access to acts.
Political Campaign Commercials 1952-2002 (on-campus use only)
A collection of video campaign advertisements from United States political races. Many levels of campaigns are represented, from different geographic areas.
Clinical Key offers comprehensive medical information available in one convenient online resource. It provides:
- 900+ reference sources
- 2800+drug monographs
- 800+ First Consult monographs for point-of-care
- 13,000+ medical and surgical videos, including content from Procedures Consult
PlaySportsTV is the leading youth sports website in the US. We deliver professional youth sports training videos in all major sports. With over 3,000 videos (most with printable training notes!) accessible at the click of a mouse, our online youth sports training is designed to make learning how to play sports easy and fun.