If the historical newspaper you need is not available online in full-text, use a newspaper index to search for articles, then find the full-text in the microforms collection on the 1st floor of Alden Library. Indexes are mostly in book format, but some can be online.
Indexes were not created for all newspapers. To find out if there is an index for a particular newspaper at Alden Library, do a Keyword search in ALICE for the name of the newspaper plus the word “index.” For example: cleveland press AND index.
Not sure of the newspaper title? Try the U.S. Newspaper Directory from the Library of Congress. Search for newspapers, past and present, by city and state. Then search for the title in the library catalog as above.
Examples of newspaper indexes
- [Cincinnati] Newsdex – coverage not stated
- Index to Cleveland newspapers – Cleveland Press, The Plain Dealer (1976-1982)
- Cleveland News Index – The Plain Dealer (1982-1994)
- Online Cleveland News Index – The Plain Dealer (1983-June 1999), Cleveland Magazine (1983-present), Northern Ohio Live (Sept. 1990-June 2009), and Ohio Magazine (Oct. 1990-present).
- Columbus, Ohio Regional News Index – Columbus Dispatch, Columbus Citizen-Journal, and Columbus Monthly (1981-1986)
- Columbus News Index– Business First, Columbus Business Journal, Columbus Dispatch, Columbus Monthly, and Ohio Magazine (1987-1996)
- Athens News Index — (1977-1979, 1984-1987)