Evaluate Sources Based on the Following Criteria:
Currency, Reliability, Authority and Purpose/Point of View
- How recent is the information?
- How recently has the website been updated?
- Is it current enough for your topic?
- What kind of information is included in the resource?
- Is content of the resource primarily opinion? Is is balanced?
- Does the creator provide references or sources for data or quotations?
- Who is the creator or author?
- What are the credentials?
- Who is the published or sponsor?
- Are they reputable?
- What is the publisher’s interest (if any) in this information?
- Are there advertisements on the website?
- Purpose/Point of View
- Is this fact or opinion?
- Is it biased?
- Is the creator/author trying to sell you something?
(adapted from LOEX 2008 wiki)
You can also download a PDF file of a variation on this CRAP Test which has a 10-point scale that you can use for each of the four main criteria.