I received the question from a patron on September 10, 2009:
“i am looking for CO2 permits prices per ton (EU Markets) or (EU Stock exchange markets)data from 2005 up to date if possible. what i am looking for looks like prices $ per ton CO2 in monthly basis.”
- I initially thought Eurostat or the European Commission would have something like this, but I was not able to find anything there. I sent an inquiry to the BUS-LIB listserv and received some really good tips. Some of the suggestions are as follows:
- See the website http://www.ecx.eu/EUA-Futures and follow the link under “Prices and Volume: ECX EUA Futures Contract” for daily EU market prices from 22 April 2005 onwards.
- See http://faq.econlib.princeton.edu/recordDetail?id=43547&action=&library=princeton_economics&institution=princeton Carbon Market Europe is the best place but requires a subscription which is expensive.
- A free source is the EU ETS database. http://www.carbonmarketdata.com/pages/product_info.php Free registration is required.
- you could try the European Energy Exchange www.eex.com – I think they have that kind of data. You might need to register, but it looks as if the data is free.
European Union, cap and trade, carbon dioxide, carbon offset, carbon offsets