The purpose of this guide is to point business researchers to some key resources when researching the Computer Equipment Manufacturing Industry (NAICS 334111). This guide is also useful when researching the sectors of the industry, including the computer peripherals industry. While not entirely comprehensive, this guide does list several of the key and highly recommended resources when analyzing the industry and researching the companies in the industry.
Encyclopedia of American Industries
The Encyclopedia of American Industries is an excellent resource for looking at the history of an industry. Simply search for “Computers” in the online encyclopedia’s search box.
Ibisworld has several reports for various computer industries, including the Computer & Peripheral Manufacturing in the US 33411. Please note that while IbisWorld is a favorite among researchers, it should not be the only resource that they use. If you want to do an in-depth analysis, you really must consult some of the other resources below.
Pluntkett Research Online
Plunkett Research Online has an industry section that covers the Infotech, Computers, and Software industry. There you will find Market Research & Trends, Statistics, and even a Video on the industry.
Mintel Oxygen contains several market research reports that can be useful when researching this industry. There are reports on the U.S. PC market, the Portable Computing market, and more. Note that while some of these reports may not be as up-to-date as IBISWorld, they do give some insight into consumer buying behaviors (IBISWorld does not cover this). Once you log into Mintel Oxygen, look for a link for Technology to browse by reports, or use the search box in the top right.
Passport GMID is likely one of the best resources to use when researching this industry. Passport GMID offers industry coverage, market research data, forecasts, brandshare, marketshare, and more.. There is a Computer’s and Peripherals report of over 30 countries in Passport GMID, so the coverage is good for looking at both U.S. and international markets.
- See the help video on how to find Market Research reports for the Computer & Peripherals Industry in Passport GMID.
S&P NetAdvantage is a key tool to use when researching this industry.
- It has a very good report for the Computer Hardware Industry and for the Computer Storage and Peripheral Industry. To find these reports, click on the Industry Tab in NetAvantage, then select the industry in the drop-down menu. Be sure to look for the “downloadable company data” link on the left side of the page as well.
- It has stock reports and company financials for major companies.
- The Compustat Excel Analytics are great when analyzing companies. This video shows you how to find them.
- See the help video on how to use NetAdvantage to analyze the industry and the companies in the industry.
Mergent Online is a great tool for looking at both company and industry information.
- It has industry reports for North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. To find the reports, click “Report Search”, the “Industry Reports”, then use the menu to look for the IT & High Technology check box.
- It has Equity Reports for major companies. Take a look at this video for how to find Equity Reports in Mergent Online.
- It is a great way to compare companies in the same industry. This video shows you how to compare companies in the same industry.
- See the video on how to analyze companies in this industry with Mergent Online.
- It has company news, financials, SWOT analyses, ratio comparisons, peer analysis, and more.
- It has in-depth industry reports of the computer industry.
- See the video on how to use OneSource to find information for this industry.
Business Source Complete
Business Source Complete has a lot of useful information that can take your research to the next level. I’ve listed here last not because it is the least important, but because I would us articles and reports from Business Source Complete to fill in the gaps of your research. You will find Industry Profiles (search for Computer Hardware and limit to Industry Profiles), and Trade Publications that can enhance the broad coverage of other industry reports.
Factiva is a great resource for looking for news about companies in the industry. You will also find company profiles, financials, ratios, and more in the “Companies & Markets” section of Factiva.
U.S. Government Information
The U.S. government provides a lot of information on this industry. Below are some links to reports and statistics for the computer hardware industry.
Computers and Peripheral Equipment Industrial Report. Provides excel files with sales and shipment statistics for computer hardware and peripherals.
Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing: NAICS 334 . The Bureau of Labor Statistics has a Industry at a Glance report for this industry. It covers employment figures, productivity index, output, and much more.
Computer Use and Ownership: U.S. Census Bureau. Gives historical statistics for computer ownership in the United States.
Focus on Prices and Spending: Computers. This report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics gives detailed statistics on spending on computers.
The 10-k (annual SEC filings) for individual companies contain financial information for companies, as well as textual descriptions of business strategies, risk factors, competition, and more. Look in Part 1, Item 1 and Item 1A for this information in a company’s 10-K report. As an example, take a look at the 10-K for Dell and look at the Business and Risk Factors sections. You will notice that Dell uses some of the similar language found in reports like IBISWorld and others. You might also look at similar 10-K’s for Apple, HP, and other larger companies.
The following links are for selected trade publications, which are magazines written by and for people in the computer industry. Once you arrive at the publication site in Business Source Complete, you can either browse by issue of “Search within the publication”. You might also use Business Source Complete to look for other articles on your topic as well.
Several of the databases mentioned above will have stock and analysts reports for companies in the industry. Take a look at my Stock Reports article to find the best databases to find stock reports.