The Summer 2013 Business Cluster students are charged with choosing an apparel retail company to open in Beijing, China. Their end product is a “feasibility study which entails researching and analyzing the chosen company, industry, target market in Beijing, and competition in order to generate financial projections, marketing plan, and management approaches.” The resources below should help them in the research process.
Business Source Complete
- Use Business Source Complete to search for articles and industry reports about the apparel retail industry in China.
- Suggested search terms include apparel retail, clothing retail, clothing stores, fashion, and China.
- The Marketline Industry Profiles you find are good sources to get you started
- Use LexisNexis to find Chinese companies who operate in the apparel retail market in China. This video shows you how to find companies by industry in specific locations using LexisNexis.
- Use Uniworld to find American firms in the clothing retail industry who operate in China
- I need a video here on how to do this
- Pasport is an essential resource for effectively researching the market in China
- Use Passport to understand the Consumer Lifestyles of the people of China
- Use Passport to understand the Clothing and Apparel retail market in China
- Use Passport to understand the Business Environment in China
- Use Passport to understand the Risks & Vulnerabilities of operating in China
- Use Mintel Oxygen to find an excellent overview of the retail market in China. The report is called called the Asia Pacific Retail Handbook and can be found by searching the keyword “China”.
- Use Statista to find statistics and links to reports on the industry.
- Suggested search terms include China and retail, fashion, clothing, etc.
- Make sure when you find useful statistics, be sure to locate the “Source Link” on the page, which can often point you to the original report on the Internet.
Doing Business in China
- Export.gov has a great report for doing business in China
- Use globalEDGE to get insight and analysis about doing business in China.