My friends in the Global Consulting Program in the Ohio University College of Business are doing an analysis of the footwear market in Switzerland and other European nations. This guide will help them find the best information on about shoes in the area quickly and efficiently.
1. Research the International Region
Before digging into the specific consumer market, let’s look at resources to help you understanding your international market as a whole. The resources below give you an overview of your countries, which you can use for a PEST analysis of the region.
- Export.gov will often have great reports on doing business in specific countries.
- Look for the opportunities by Country Link and choose your country to find information.
- Use globalEDGE to get insight and analysis about doing business in a particular area.
D&B Country Risk Reports
- The D&B Country Risk Reports offer an overview of a country’s economics and political condition. It is a great resource to consult when evaluating countries as potential international markets, as it provides economic and political information in a concise and easy-to-use format.
- CountryWatch gives concise political and economic information, as well as business/cultural etiquette and investment climate information.
2. Analyze the industry and market in your region(s)
Next, look at analysis of the overall industry in your specific locations(s).
- Pasport is an essential resource for effectively researching the market in Europe or in individual countries
- Use Passport to understand the Consumer Lifestyles of the people in your market
- Use Passport to understand the Footwear, Apparel, and Designer Apparel market in a specific country.
- Use Passport to understand the Business Environment in specific countries
- Use Passport to understand the Risks & Vulnerabilities of operating in a nation
- Use Mintel Oxygen to find an excellent market research reports on footwear in France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
Business Source Complete
- Use Business Source Complete to search for articles and industry reports about the footwear industry in Europe or its nations.
- Suggested search terms include footwear, shoes, and the nation/region
- The Marketline Industry Profiles you find are good sources to get you started
- Be sure to limit to trade publications to find publications written by experts within the industry.
- Use Statista to find statistics and links to reports on the industry.
- Suggested search terms include Europe (or a specific country) and footwear.
- Make sure when you find useful statistics, be sure to locate the “Source Link” on the page, which can often point you to the original report on the Internet.
3. Find partners or competitors in your region
Use the sources below to create lists of companies by industry and location.
- Use Hoover’s Online to find company profiles of potential business partners or competitors. Note, company information is limited for non-public companies.
- You can also use Hoover’s to create your own list of companies that operate in a particular area. For example, use it to find a list of shoe manufacturers or retailers in Europe.
- Use LexisNexis to find companies who operate in the footwear retail market in a specific region. This video shows you how to find companies by industry in specific locations using LexisNexis.
- You can also use LexisNexis to search for newspaper articles in a specific country about an industry or company.
- Use Uniworld to find American footwear firms who operate in European Nations