The purpose of this guide is to point business researchers to some key resources when researching theÂ Movie & Video Production Industry. Â While not entirely comprehensive, this guide does list several of the key and highly recommended resources when analyzing the industry and researching the companies in the industry. Â I’ve listed the databases and resources below, with recommendations on how to find the best information in the quickest fashion. Â Also, bear in mind that you might need to try multiple search terms beyond just Movie & Video Production, such as film industry, motion pictures, and cinema.
- Plunkett ResearchÂ has a section for Entertainment & Media, where you can find Market Research and Statistics for the overall Â market. Â This would be a good resource to look at to get a general overview and basic understanding of the industry.
- IbisWorldÂ is a good place to get started for a good overview of the industry as it has a few different reports about movie production and distribution. Â Â IbisWorld also has under the Business Environment section a number of economic reports that could be very useful.
- First ResearchÂ provides industry profiles on over 600 industry segments covering the competitive landscape, products, operations, technology finance, regulation, and more.
- Simply search for “video production” to get some excellent reports.
- Passport GMIDÂ has an excellent report titled “Movie Theaters in the U.S.” that addresses industry growth, competitive environment, buyers, suppliers, bargaining power, and more. Â While not specifically about the Video Production Industry, it is does provide very relevant analysis.
- You can also use Passport to find statistics for things such as “annual cinema visits per capita” for over 50 countries in the world.
- Also be sure to check out the Technology, Communications, and Media section under the Â “Countries and Consumers” tab.
- Passport GMIDÂ also offers essential macroeconomic information that can be really useful in performing a PEST analysis. Â This video shows you how to find information from GMID that addresses the broad Political, Economic, Social, and Technological trends affecting industries. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to find information from Passport GMID for your PEST analysis.
- Mintel OxygenÂ is an excellent source for market research reports pertaining to this industry. Â As an example, a search for “movie” or “video” yields several relevant reports.
- UseÂ StatistaÂ to find statistics and links to reports on the industry.
- Be sure to look for the Satista Dossier on the Film Industry.
- Make sure when you find useful statistics, beÂ sure to locate the â€œSource Linkâ€ on the page, which can often point you to the original report on the Internet.
- OneSourceÂ is another fantastic resource for company and industry information.
- It has company news, Â financials,Â SWOT analyses, ratio comparisons, peer analysis,Â stock reportsÂ and more.
- To find information on the Movie Production Industry, simply search for the industry, or NAICS Code in the search box.
- For company info, simply search for your company.
S&P Net Advantage
- S&P NetAdvantageÂ is a key tool to use when researching this industry.
- S&P NetAdvantage has an industry report for “Movies and Home Entertainment” which gives essential analysis of the industry.
- The industry reports can be very useful in performing a PEST analysis, particularly when addressing the “economic” area. Â To find these reports, click on the Industry Tab in NetAvantage, then select the industry in the drop-down menu. Â Be sure to look for the â€œdownloadable company dataâ€ link on the left side of the page as well.
- It hasÂ stock reportsÂ and company financials for major companies.
- The Compustat Excel Analytics are great when analyzing companies. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to find them.
- Mergent OnlineÂ is a great tool for looking atÂ both company and industry information.
- Look for the Media industry report under the Report Search tab, or under the “reports” section when looking at a specific company.
- It has Equity Reports for major companies. Take a look at thisÂ video for how to find Equity Reports in Mergent Online.
- It is a great way to compare companies in the same industry. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to compare companies in the same home improvement retail Â industryÂ with Mergent Online.
Business Source Complete
Business Source CompleteÂ has a lot of useful information that can take your research to the next level. I have listed it Â here last not because it is the least important, but because I would use articles and reports from Business Source Complete to fill in the gaps of your research.Â You will find Industry Profiles (search for motion picture industry), and Trade Publications that can enhance the broad coverage of other industry reports.
- FactivaÂ is a great resource for looking for news about companies in the industry.
- You will also find company profiles, financials, ratios, and more in the â€œCompanies & Marketsâ€ section of Factiva.
- This video shows youÂ how to use Factiva effectively when analyzing your company.
- LexisNexisÂ is a great source for company or industry news, company profiles, legal cases, financials, family trees, accounting publications, law journals, and more.
- This is an especially good resource when looking for legal issues facing companies in the industry.
Â SEC Filings
TheÂ 10-k (annual SEC filings) for individual companiesÂ contain financial information for companies, as well as textual descriptions of business strategies, risk factors, competition, and more.Â Look in Part 1, Item 1 and Item 1A for this information in a companyâ€™s 10-K report.Â As an example, take a look at theÂ 10-K for DisneyÂ and look at theÂ BusinessÂ andÂ Risk FactorsÂ sections.Â You will notice that Disney uses some of the same language found in reports like IBISWorld and others.Â You might also look at similar 10-Kâ€™s for other companies in the industry.