The purpose of this guide is to point business researchers to some key resources when researching the wired telecommunications industry. Â While not entirely comprehensive, this guide does list several of the key and highly recommended resources when analyzing the industry and researching the companies in the industry. Â I’ve listed the databases and resources below, with recommendations on how to find the best information in the quickest fashion. Image Creative Commons, Courtesy of kengagerdotcom.
The video below gives a 10-minute intro to many of the resources on this page.
- Plunkett ResearchÂ has a section for Retailing, where you can find Market Research and Statistics for the overall telecommunications market. Â This would be a good resource to look at to get a general overview and basic understanding of the industry.
- IbisWorld is a good place to get started for a good overview of the industry. Â A search for Home Improvement yields a report for Home Improvement Stores. Â IbisWorld also has, under the Business Environment section, a number of economic reports that could be very useful, such Private Spending on Home Improvement.
- First ResearchÂ provides industry profiles on over 600 industry segments covering the competitive landscape, products, operations, technology finance, regulation, and more.
- Simply search for “telecommunications” to get some excellent reports.
- Passport GMID has an excellent report titled “Telecommunications in the U.S.” that addresses industry growth, competitive environment, buyers, suppliers, bargaining power, and more.
- Also be sure to check out the Technology, Communications, and Media section under the Â “Countries and Consumers” tab.
- Passport GMIDÂ also offers essential macroeconomic information that can be really useful in performing a PEST analysis. Â This video shows you how to find information from GMID that addresses the broad Political, Economic, Social, and Technological trends affecting industries. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to find information from Passport GMID for your PEST analysis.
- Mintel OxygenÂ is an excellent source for market research reports pertaining to this industry. Â As an example, a search for “cable” yields several relevant reports.
- OneSourceÂ is another fantastic resource for company and industry information.
- It has company news, Â financials,Â SWOT analyses, ratio comparisons, peer analysis,Â stock reportsÂ and more.
- To find information on the Wired Telecommunications Industry, simply search for the industry, or NAICS Code (517110) in the search box. Â I prefer the Freedonia Reports when looking at the U.S. industry, and the BMI reports when looking at international markets.
- For company info, simply search for you company.
S&P Net Advantage
- S&P NetAdvantageÂ is a key tool to use when researching this industry.
- S&P NetAdvantage has industry reports for both “Telecommunications: Wireline” and “Broadcasting, Satellite, and Cable,” which are updated every six months.
- The industry reports can be very useful in performing a PEST analysis, particularly when addressing the “economic” area. Â To find these reports, click on the Industry Tab in NetAvantage, then select the industry in the drop-down menu. Â Be sure to look for the â€œdownloadable company dataâ€ link on the left side of the page as well.
- It hasÂ stock reportsÂ and company financials for major companies.
- The Compustat Excel Analytics are great when analyzing companies. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to find them.
- Mergent OnlineÂ is a great tool for looking atÂ both company and industry information.
- Look for the Telecommunications industry report under the Report Search tab, or under the “reports” section when looking at a specific company.
- It has Equity Reports for major companies. Take a look at thisÂ video for how to find Equity Reports in Mergent Online.
- It is a great way to compare companies in the same industry. Â ThisÂ video shows you how to compare companies in the same home improvement retail Â industryÂ with Mergent Online.
Business Source Complete
Business Source CompleteÂ has a lot of useful information that can take your research to the next level. Iâ€™ve listed here last not because it is the least important, but because I would us articles and reports from Business Source Complete to fill in the gaps of your research.Â You will find Industry Profiles (search for Telecommunications), and Trade Publications that can enhance the broad coverage of other industry reports.
- FactivaÂ is a great resource for looking for news about companies in the industry.
- You will also find company profiles, financials, ratios, and more in the â€œCompanies & Marketsâ€ section of Factiva.
- This video shows you how to use Factiva effectively when analyzing your company.
- LexisNexisÂ is a great source for company or industry news, company profiles, legal cases, financials, family trees, accounting publications, law journals, and more.
- This is an especially good resource when looking for legal issues facing companies in the industry.
Â SEC Filings
TheÂ 10-k (annual SEC filings) for individual companiesÂ contain financial information for companies, as well as textual descriptions of business strategies, risk factors, competition, and more.Â Look in Part 1, Item 1 and Item 1A for this information in a companyâ€™s 10-K report.Â As an example, take a look at theÂ 10-K for Diretct TVÂ and look at theÂ BusinessÂ andÂ Risk FactorsÂ sections.Â You will notice that Direct TV uses some of the same language found in reports like IBISWorld and others.Â You might also look at similar 10-Kâ€™s for other companies in the industry.