The purpose of this guide is to help researchers find the best information possible to create a sports marketing plan. The students in Dr. Ridpath’s SASM 3010 class are charged with developing a marketing plan in order to bring a new professional sports franchise to a new city.
General Industry Information
There resources listed here provide general information for the overall sports industry.
- Use IbisWorld to search for “sports franchises” to get a general overview of the industry in the U.S.
- First Research provides quick and easy to understand industry analyses. Search for “professional sports” to find a very useful report.
Plunkett Research Online
- Plunkett Research Online has an extensive area for Market Trends and Statistics in the Sports Industry research center.
- SBRnet is an excellent resource of I statistics on sports participation, sports fan demographics, sports venue revenues, sporting goods sales, and much more.
- This video demonstrates how to find sports marketing information in SBRnet.
- Statista is a great place to look for a variety of sports statistics, covering revenues, attendance, participation, expenses, and more.
Sport Marketing from RKMA
- Sport Marketing offers 320 pages of annually-updated sports market research trends, statistics, revenues, and more.
Consumer & Demographic Information
- Mintel Oxygen has some excellent market research reports that cover the sports industry, such as “Marketing to Sports Fans.”
- Passport GMID has some useful information in a report called “Sporting and Recreational Services in the U.S.” You can find this report by searching for the title in the GMID search box.
- Mediamark Reporter contains demographic information about users of specific consumer products (and also sports attendance/viewing habits) including: what they use, income and educational level, what types of media they use, and more.
- This video shows you how to use Mediamark Reporter to find demographic information about sports fans.
Local Market Analysis
- American Factifinder is a great resource for general demographic information including economic and social characteristics of particular city, state, or county.
- Census QuickFacts provides easy access to some of the most-used economic and social statistics.
- LexisNexis Academic can be used to find newspaper articles from local papers about sports industry issues.
- SimplyMap provides demographic, business, or marketing data down to the local level, allowing users to create customized maps and reports with an almost unlimited number of variables.
- This video demonstrates how to research for a sports interest and participation in SimplyMap.
- SRDS is a great resource to analyze the local media in a market.
- This can be a great resource to gathering information about where to advertise in a particular market.