While the OU Libraries do not own a copy of all books required for classes, your book may be on reserve, available on the shelf, available as an e-book or available through OhioLINK. This video will show you how to search for a copy of the book you need. Check the text directions below for links to the library catalog.
Here are websites for local bookstores:
- Follett’s University Bookstore: www.oubobcats.com
- College Bookstore: www.cbsohiou.com
- Little Professor Book Center: www.littleprofessor.com/athens/
You can also check the course offerings guide for the current semester, as textbooks may be listed along with your class.
If you are unable to find the book you need through the library, there are usually a number of options for purchasing your books your books beyond the campus bookstore. A student employee recently recommended Chegg, a service for renting textbooks. Any online store selling used books would also be a good place to check, such as Half.com (from eBay), or AbeBooks. These are only a few suggestions; use the power of the web to find the best option for acquiring the books you need for class.
If you are unable to view this video, try accessing the video from YouTube.
Text directions to find textbooks for your class:
- From the library home page, click on course reserves
- Enter your course code and number
- Most items on reserve will be available at the fourth floor circulation desk; make sure to bring your ID for checkout
- If your book is not on reserve, go back to the library home page, and search for the title of your book (probably on your syllabus) using the ALICE title search.
- If you find a copy available in the library, make sure to write down the call number so that you can find the book on the shelf.
- If the OU Libraries do not have a copy of your book, or all of our copies are checked out, use the Search OhioLINK button to see if another school in Ohio has a copy of your book..
- As long as there is a copy in Ohio Link that is listed as Available, you can use the Request this Itemlink to request that the item be sent here.
- You’ll be asked to choose your school — pick Ohio University from the drop down menu– and then enter your name and PID (from your ID card, leaving off the “P”).
- You will receive an email when the item is available for pickup at the fourth floor circulation desk. You’ll be able to check it out for three weeks, with up to four renewals (use Your Library Record to renew). Please note, however, that the school that owns the book can put a hold on the book, preventing you from renewing it, and possibly requiring the book to be returned before the end of the quarter.
- Remember that if you can’t find what you need, you can always ask an OU librarian.
This video is released under Creative Commons license. You are welcome to use, redistribute, or remix it in any way you like, as long as you attribute us as the original creator. Faculty and instructors, please feel free to use this in your Blackboard. If you have any suggestions for future videos, let us know!