The purpose of this guide is to give job-hunters an information advantage before they interview. This guide showcases a few key resources that will take your knowledge of a company or industry beyond what you can find on the company website or through a basic Google search. Knowing more about a company or industry helps you to be more prepared to answer questions, while also giving you the knowledge to ask better questions, during the interview.
Start with Onesource
Onesource is a good place to start, especially for job-hunters who are inexperienced with company research.
- Great for large companies, and publicly-held companies (those traded publicly on a stock exchange such as the NYSE)
- It’s not so great for small companies. For smaller companies, use Hoover’s (below) instead.
- Simply search for a company by name to find:
- analysis of a company’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT)
- general financial information for a company
- company news and recent developments
- fair disclosure transcripts (earnings conference calls) which can be a great place to understand company strategy
- analyst (stock) reports indicating how the company is valued
- links to industry reports
- executive biographical information
This 3- minute video demonstrates how to use Onesource to gather information before your interview.
Get additional company information with Hoover’s
Hoover’s is also very user-friendly for novice business researchers.
- It’s great for large companies, but also contains more small and private company information than Onesource.
- If you don’t find much information about your company in Onesource, use Hoover’s.
- Simply search for a company to find:
- company financial information
- company news
- links to industry reports (these tend to be more specific than Onesource)
- executive information
Find more private company information with Privco
Privco is used to find financial information and profiles for many larger, privately held companies.
- It can be very difficult to find information for private companies, as there is not a public record for these companies.
- With profiles for over 850,000 firms, Privco provides some relief in finding information for these harder-to-research companies.
Read a local newspaper to learn about companies
America’s Newspapers is a wonderful resource to find what the local press says about a company
- Use to search for newspaper articles from papers in the state or city where the company is located.
- This can be a great way to find additional information about companies not easily found elsewhere.
- From the database home screen, choose a state, then city(optional) to limit newspapers by location.
- Next search for your company name in the Lead/First Paragraph
- Use search filters to limit by date or by particular newspaper.
Learn more about your the industry in which your company operates
IbisWorld is one of our most-popular and easy-to-use industry research databases.
- Read about the industry to learn key facts, terminology, trends, etc.
- Search for an industry by keyword to find:
- industry performance
- major players
- key success factors
- competitive landscape